Thursday, October 8, 2009

Slaying Giants

I absolutely love the great stories found in the Old Testament. I try and make the O.T. part of my personal bible study often and find great truths there every time. This morning I read about David and Goliath again. What a great story that truly epitomizes good versus evil and God receiving all the glory. 

While reading 1 Samuel 17:1-53 again, I was reminded that this was much more than just a fight between Israel and the Philistines; it was a defense of the Lords supremacy against those that would doubt him. David showed courage that could only come from absolute faith in God and as he stated, “the Lord will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine”. 



Everyday we are put into situations that we feel may be insurmountable. We ask ourselves how in the world am I going to able to do this? Much like the Israelites we see ourselves facing what appears to be a giant while we hold only a slingshot. As we talked about several weeks ago we usually take these problems everywhere else except to the Lord in prayer and then only as a last resort. 

The truth is that faith will see us through anything the world has to throw at us if only we use it. God wants the very best for each of us and he wants us to come to him first for everything in our life. 

“And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it”. 
John 14:13-14 

Follow the example of young David, be faithful in your walk with Christ, stand up for God trusting him fully taking everything in life to him first. We should all be so bold to know that the Lord will also deliver us in our time of need. Make faith the rock you put in your slingshot and there is no giant you can’t defeat!

Be blessed today,

Jeff

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it!

Steve said...

I missed seeing these very week!