Monday, August 16, 2010

Local Church Bible Publishers

Local Church Bible Publishers Green goatskin hand-sized KJV- with Concordance


What a great looking Bible at first inspection.

Likes:

I love the color and the size is just right in my opinion. The font size is huge! The LCBP website doesn’t reference the size (at least that I can find) but it’s at least a 10.5, maybe 11. I really like the maps in this Bible just because they look cool. They have a retro look that is very neat but just my opinion.




Dislikes:

The binding material “feels” thin, especially when compared against Cambridge and Allan bindings. The cover is also pretty stiff and I think this has as much to do with the lining material as anything else. And I don’t like the presentation pages. But I don’t care for presentation pages in any Bible so this isn’t a specific issue with this Bible but a personal preference. And while the quality of the chain type gilt line inside the cover is nice, I don’t care for it.


Overall the quality is nice especially for $50.


I’m not a photographer but hope the pictures will show and reference some of my comments.





The Bible looks really cool right out of the box with the semi-full yapp curved over nicely. I was a little concerned about how a green Bible would look but the color is very nice. As I mentioned, the binding is stiff if compared to an Allan or Cambridge goatskin Bible, along the same lines as a calfskin binding from Cambridge. The two black ribbons are thin and stiff but seem to be good quality and softened up with just a little rubbing.






The lining material is bonded leather and maybe the cause of the stiffness? And the pictures below show the chain type gold gilding I’m not a fan of. Wouldn’t lay flat at Genesis 1 and had to get into Leviticus to have enough paper weight to flatten it out.








The paper quality and gold page gillting is very comparable to the NASB Foundation bonded and genuine leather editions. The one I have makes a “crinkling” noise when I run my finger up and down the gutter just like the Allan and Crossway PSR printed in China that was sewn too tight. I really like the maps and think they look cool and old school.







 

I can only give my opinion here.  While this is a nice Bible it is nowhere near the caliper of an Allan or Cambridge .  I would compare this with Lockmans NASB in genuine leather - click here for a >>>>> nice comparision<<<<<  This is a nice Bible and well worth the 50 bucks, no question.




Most importantly it has one thing missing that every Bible regardless of translation should have…



“The End” printed in the final page of Revelation!